Monday, October 20, 2014

Materials and Methods

Materials and Methods: Prior to setting up my MicroAquarium, I chose my water source. I chose water source number two which was from the French Board River, Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge. After obtaining my MicroAquarium, I applied three colored sticker circles indicating my lab section, table, and seat number. I then proceeded to apply my initials to each dot to avoid in confusion in the future. Next, I acquired a pipet and extracted water in three parts: first from the bottom of the sample making sure to include some sediment, second from the middle layer of the sample, and third from the surface of the sample. I then proceeded to add two plant materials to the MicroAquarium that you will find listed below.

Amblestegium varium
(Hedwig) Lindberg. Moss.
Collection from: Natural spring. at Carters Mill Park, Carter Mill Road, Knox Co. TN. Partial shade exposure. N36 01.168 W83 42.832. 10/12/2014
Utricularia gibba
L. Flowering plant. A
carnivorous plant. Original material from south shore of Spain Lake (N 35o55 12.35" W088o20' 47.00), Camp Bella Air Rd. East of Sparta Tn. in White Co. and grown in water tanks outside of greenhouse at Hesler Biology Building. The University of Tennessee. Knox Co. Knoxville TN.
10/12/20 (McFarland, 2014).

Finally, I applied lid which I had previously added two small dots of Bluestik to insure a proper seal.

Location of Water Source: French Broad River, Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge, Kelly Lane , Knox Co. Tennessee. Partial shade exposure French Broad River Water Shed N35 56.742 W83 41.628 841 ft 10/12/2014 (McFarland, 2014).

No comments:

Post a Comment